Interesting quotes from a beleaguered Buck Showalter...

JTrea81

The bolded were the most interesting quotes:

I'm just trying to win a baseball game, put something out there that people can sell themselves to emotionally. Our guys care, not that teams in the past here didn't care. Dan (Duquette) cares, Peter (Angelos) cares. We're in a good place. It's going to take a lot more than one year, two years, three years.
One of the biggest things is you've got to know who you are. I've asked that question. Who are we? How are we going to do this? Don't confuse our fans. Don't go talking about something that's completely... I think what people miss, they lose sight of the consistent 'yes' we get from our ownership. I can't tell you, on one hand...and most of the time he's right. Just about all the time. So we're very careful about what we take there. "I'm getting really deep here. I'm trying to make it to the playoffs without saying something stupid."
http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/09/tidbits-for-a-tuesday.html

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me guess, this is going to be a 23-page thread fighting over the defintions of "is", "more than" and "yes". And finding great, deep meaning on the exact details of the future of the organization in throwaway quotes from a manager's postgame presser.

You called that one right.

But all in the name of good discussion. :)

So, Trea, how do you interpret what Buck said there? Reading all of his quotes (not just what you selected), what I take from it is:

1. The O's want to be competitive every year, not just 1 or 2 or 3 years.

2. The O's want to have an identity of who they are, and ownership is saying yes to the identity the O's are building.

Do you take it to mean something different than that? I have to say, Buck kind of rambled here, but that's what I make of it.

Let me guess, this is going to be a 23-page thread fighting over the defintions of "is", "more than" and "yes". And finding great, deep meaning on the exact details of the future of the organization in throwaway quotes from a manager's postgame presser.

It only gets to 23 pages if enough people are suckered into playing along.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4F4qzPbcFiA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, Trea, how do you interpret what Buck said there? Reading all of his quotes (not just what you selected), what I take from it is:

2. The O's want to have an identity of who they are, and ownership is saying yes to the identity the O's are building.

Do you take it to mean something different than that? I have to say, Buck kind of rambled here, but that's what I make of it.

What he left out was the next line

I have the most respect for people that do it consistently, year-in and year-out.

It only gets to 23 pages if enough people are suckered into playing along.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4F4qzPbcFiA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not me, and not this time. First things first, unless Trea removed words where the "..." are, I don't even have the slightest idea what Buck is talking about. He's rambling. But whatever. Trea and others will take this to confirm some goofy angle they have, so more power to 'em. I'll stay out of this one.

Oh, and I love how you insterted "beleaguered" into the title, as if that was somewhere in Roch's piece. I can't wait to see the battle over just how beleaguered Buck is and the dramatic implications it has on the direction of the Baltimore Orioles.

That is what irritates me about that guy. He will add things to put a twist on what

was actually said. No wonder some get pissed at him.

The way I took it was that Buck feels this team is going to take up to three more years to be championship caliber. As for the Angelos part, while it's good to hear that they at least know what he'll say no to, it's not good hat they still can't do things they want to do because he'll say no. Buck says he's right just about all the time, but it makes you wonder what Angelos said no to from Buck and/or Duquette, where he wasn't right.

The way I took it was that Buck feels this team is going to take up to three more years to be championship caliber. As for the Angelos part, while it's good to hear that they at least know what he'll say no to, it's not good hat they still can't do things they want to do because he'll say no. Buck says he's right just about all the time, but it makes you wonder what Angelos said no to from Buck and/or Duquette, where he wasn't right.

Has anyone told you lately you have a severe case of confirmation bias?

Maybe Josh Hamilton

I agree with your assessment.

Others will read into it what they want to read into it.

I didn't get that from what Buck said, but I honestly don't know what Buck was trying to say, exactly.

I didn't get that from what Buck said, but I honestly don't know what Buck was trying to say, exactly.

I think the O's had a bad game near the end of a season that hasn't quite lived up to some people's expectations and he was trying to get through the press conference without throwing a stapler at someone or just getting up and doing something he'd rather have been doing.

I can't imagine the kind of crap I'd say if I had to talk to the world after each day of work. I'm pretty sure I'd be out of the Erik Bedard/Mike Mussina mold, often snippy and crappy to people and sometimes just making up stuff to see what they put in the paper, and 10% of the people would think it's funny and everyone else would hate me.

Archived